Currently Terra Colonia is in what could best be described as its infancy... We're still a long way away from being in Alpha.
This is a quick and dirty list of some of the things I plan to have in the game, sorted by approximate project stages (Alpha, Beta, Release, Wishful Thinking)..
- Basic Splash Screen
- Main Menu
- Singleplayer game select
- Multiplayer game select
- Options menu
- Tutorial/Staging Area (very little if any functionality)
- Player inventory
- Container inventory
- Chat Window
- Map Screen
- Tutorial/Staging Area - Players can walk about the area, practice skills, begin developing a small simulated colony
- Interface to in game computers/machines
- Vehicle Driving
- Tutorial/Staging Area - Now a complete independent game instance, practice skills, equip character, run colony sims, or travel through gates to actual game instance.
- Chunked Procedural Terrain Generation (endless rolling hills at this point)
- Procedural Terrain Features (trees/bushes/rocks)
- Multiplayer terrain loading (players get useful terrain display, server doesn't melt down)
- Terrain modification - move dirt to shape the landscape, chop down trees, poke at rocks with a mouse pointer.
- Saving terrain changes (yeah, that would be nice)
- Support for random encounters (generated structures/items), with possible terrain alteration (terriforming to support constructions)
- Custom seeds for world generation - random or user definable, share interesting seeds with your friends.
- Terrain Biomes - flat plains, craggy mountains, canyons... different plant life in the desert versus the coastal plains
- Extended terrain features (more tree/bush/rock variety, more interesting landscapes)
- Resource availability - some areas have more accessible ore, trees of certain types have better wood, etc.
- Interesting random encounters - Abandoned outposts, NPC explorers (alive or dead), alien ruins, alternate gateways, extra resource availability, indigenous tribes, so on and so forth... Terrain alteration extending across multiple chunks to allow for large generated structures.
Environment and Time
- Time - start to track time against an in game clock
- Celestial Objects - Sun, Moon/s orbiting, with accompanying lights
- Weather - random storms, cloudy skies, etc..
- Time based weather - Seasonal storms, temperature changes, crop growth parameters
Items and Inventory
- Define an item - it's a start
- Make items exist in the world at large - Otherwise it couldn't be dropped, or picked up..
- Inventory - players get to carry rocks and sticks!
- Item recipes - craft new items using existing ones
- Items from resources - butcher animals, cut down trees, use a MinerBot3750 to dig for ore.
- Crafting machines - feed resources and schematics to a machine, have cool new stuff produced for you.
- Farming - domesticate wild plants, grow earth grains, harvest resulting products, sell or feed to livestock
- Item quality - Some materials are more effective than others, also apply skill to items for better quality results.
- Modular factories - change manufacturing machines and resource storage to create custom manufacturing chains. Buy and sell products to the colony automatically.
- Manually placed building objects to test meshes and interaction
- User placed building objects - make your own shelter out of modular wall/door/window sections.
- Building layout grids - set markers to define a work area, magic lasers then light up and indicated high/low spots that need to be landscaped to build at the desired elevation.
- Simple automagic constructed features - Find generated structures as you explore, have the colony already started before you first come through the gate.
- Extended construction modules - Not just walls and doors anymore - Build planter boxes, factory modules, energy generators, wells and automatic mines.
- Fancier generated structures.
NPCs and Mobs
- Simple animals - Awful model, moronic AI, just exists to practive being shot at.
- Better animals - Distinct races with roles (predator/prey)
- Better AI - Possible hostile or Fear responses based on what is happening nearby
- Simple NPC - Stands around the town and models clothes.
- Animal Domestication - capture animals, tame them, train them? raise new generations of delicious foodsacs.
- Better NPCs - Actively perform duties, AI can handle self defense or changing job requirements.
- NPCs work for a living - They can perform manual labor and have skills to run various devices/machines.
- NPC Shopkeepers - Specialized NPCs that own manufacturing our retail shops, can provide specialized services (gunsmithing, vehicle repair/upgrades) or create work jobs at the colony job board
- NPC becomes sentient - punches people through the internet.
- Create a colony manager - Piece of equipment that hosts a colony management computer.
- Colony management AI - simple colony growth decisions
- Colony growth quests - perform jobs for the Manager computer to help the colony grow
- Colony Management AI - more complex management AI. Industrial zones, personnel assignments, creating valid economy based on internal trading and limited trade back to the core worlds.
- Player Controlled Colony - As player helps colony grow, they get more influence on the decision making process.
- NPC building quests - get jobs to landscape areas to a spec, construct buildings for NPC colonists
- Player building quests - create jobs to be fulfilled by NPCs and other players, put that shovel down and hire some muscle.
- Colony Manager expanded role - Provide players with "Real Jobs".
- Trade agreements between servers - allocate parts of your colony's economy to trading with another server. Probably based on an estimate so that both servers don't have to be running at the same time
- Move your character between servers, use the gates to travel to/from your friend's/enemy's server and play there.
- Account based authentication for multiplayer
- LAN connection for personally hosted servers, probably using Unity's Masterserver for matchmaking
- Personally hosted servers using Unity MasterServer for matchmaking
- Desert Ape has their own MasterServer the users will use for matchmaking
- Extended Terra Colonia client and server development to create m(for mini)MO?
Possible Future Expansions/DLC
- Item Pack - Infantry Warfare - Heavy weapons, power armor, light armored vehicles
- Item Pack - Landscaping - Heavy Earthmoving equipment, bulldozer, grader, dump truck - drills/explosives to help you get down to bedrock.
- Item Pack - Underwater - Submersible vehicles, underwater housing and related gear.
- Item Pack - Alternate Manufacturers - Finely crafted gear for more accuracy, Tough gear for more durability.. Expanded options to modify your equipment, All it takes is more money!
- World Generation - Hostile Environments - Arid/Frozen/Vacuum Worlds, extra challenge for those bored with living in paradise.